Marth Mariam Vanitha Samajam is the Women’s wing of the Malankara Orthodox Church of India. It is one of the major spiritual organization of the church combining all the female members. It is spread throughout the world in all the 30 Dioceses and functioning in all parishes of the church.
The organization was founded in 1928 aimed at the spiritual progress of women. The founders named it “Marth Mariam Samajam”after the Blessed Virgin Mary whom they accepted as their interceding saint.
It was started under the patronage of the Late Very Rev. M.C.Kuriakose Ramban and with the leadership of K.M. Annamma. and co-workers.
Prarthikkuka, Pravarthikkuka, Prakasikkuka.
There is a central committee with all the 30 Dioceses of the church. H.H. of the Patron. According to the constitution President, Vice President, General Secretary, Joint Secretary and Treasurer, The Secretaries from 30 Diocese & Diocese Representatives consist of the Central Committee. Central Committee is the deciding body of of Marth MariamVanitha Samajam. The Diocesan Metropolitan is the President of diocesan committee, Vice President is a priest from that Diocese and the vicars that of the branches. Each Diocesan Samajam has a secretary, elected from the committee members who in their turn represents the group or districts into which each diocese is subdivided. The Group secretaries encourage the branch samajams and make members ever more loyal to the faith and practices of the church. The diocesan and the organizing secretaries are expected to visit the branches at times.. Retreats, Bible Classes, Competitions etc are held on Parish, Group, Diocese & Akhila Malankara levels.
There is a Leadership Training Camp held annually for 2 days. Annual examinations are conducted based on prescribed text books of church faith, Bible portions and liturgical hymns. Examination is conducted inside & outside India in October.
Present concerns and Future Prospects
1. Preparing women to have theological training. Hundreds of women are now undergoing the Divyyabodhanam course of the Orthodox Seminary, Kottayarn
2. Training women to have social awareness, participation in political activities., Decision-making at every level.
3. Concientization program for women who are generally denied basic human hood in the family.
4. Attempts to find out women’s potentials to a greater extent.
5. Training women to conduct prayer groups, to lead prayer, Bible classes, fellowship meetings and to preach the gospel.
6. Preparing cell to solve the problems of working women.
7. Seek solidarity with women’s action groups on local and national level .Encouraging more participation in ecumenical gatherings.
8. To enhance spiritual practices observing lent, and other religious practices, bringing up children etc.
9. Attempts to find out more Sunday school teachers with a commitment to Christ.
10. We are continuing the struggle against dowry system and other social evils and To persuade the authorities that woman should be provided with equal opportunities and recognition.
11. Also efforts are done to get participation for women in the administration of the church various aspects of Managing committee, working Committee. Advisory committee etc.
This is the helping hand for the needy. Samajam is providing marriage aid, sick aid, education aid & providing for construction of houses for widows.
'Vanitha Deepthi' is the trimagazine released by Marth Mariam Vanitha Samajam from 2012.
Navajyoti MOMS Charitable Society & Chaithanya Samskarika Koottayma
These are two project under Marth Mariam Vanitha Samajam for the upliftment of women.
Martha Mariyam Vanitha Samajam meetings are conducted in the church every Friday from 10.00 AM to 12.30 PM. Bible Classes will be handled by the Vicar and there will be Songs, Bible reading and Prayers. Samajam members are active in the Church activities. They also visit the Elderly and Sick people who are alone in their homes.
Office Bearers for the year 2016-17
Alice Ninan ( secretary)
Omana Thomas (Joint Secretary)
Sally Varghese (Treasurer)